Sunday, May 31, 2009

People may say that he's mad but its usually the mad ones who come up with great things


Was still a bit sore from yesterday's wimpy defeat. Bremen had indeed been performing below par this season and this was another typical example. NO shots on goals, lack of possession and pussy defending in a match which would have surely been hailed successful if they managed to win the cup. Memories of Middlesborough double cup finals defeat returned to haunt me but thankfully, survival had already been secured in this season's tumultous affair...

Woke up around 5am to catch the first train to Fussen. Once again, I had difficulty waking myself up but I was constantly reminded that I had objectives to make today and that I will definitely have 2 hours of guaranteed sleep on the train later.

The train was surprisingly crowded at such an early hour. Okay, it wasn't jam packed but I had to walk all the way to the end of the train before being able to find a 2-seater that is free. It was quite a scary journey too because it seemed that the train was full of drunk "punk". Okay maybe they weren't punks but their dress code meant that i had to be careful not to step on their toes. It was Ascension Day, i.e public holiday in Germany and I guessed that accounted for the overnight binge. I was forced to settle down in my seats as there was no more space to advance and I immediately proceeded to close my eyes and pretend to sleep.

Haha anyway enough ramblings about the journey itself. Managed to reach Fussen pretty early and embarked on my tour of Schloss Hohenschwangau and Schloss Neuschwanstein relatively tourist free. This was especially so for the former and i was actually able to absorb in all the stories that the guide told me. It was opulent living at its finest, imagine staying in a castle compound and looking out at the Alps everyday through ur window. The Alpsee and Schwansee were absolutely gorgeous and I was told that it was even more beautiful when the lakes were frozen up during winter. Ah how i yearn to live as a prince with my beautiful consort...

And maybe I was again a bit spoilt by the first tour that the Neuschwanstein turned out to be a bit more disappointing. (For the record, both castles have to be visited by tour only. I guess there must be stories of tourists getting lost and this is the only way to avoid having too many missing people reports. Can one imagine if P Tekong is open up to allowing people to wonder around as they wish...) But despite the relatively letdown in the tour, it was then made up by the castle itself. It was actually an unfinished castle by King Ludwig II. He had wanted it to be a tribute to Richard Wagner (famous poet of that time, like Shakespeare) with each and every rooms reflecting his plays but was unfortunately branded as mad and eventually "forced" into retirement by unknown forces. The white exterior of the castle gave it a dreamy appearance and set into the snowy background of the Alps, it was fairy book stuff. The view from the nearby Marienbrucke is one that must not be missed by any honeymooning couple and together with the sound of the waterfalls in the background, one can easily be transported into Wonderland if not for the noisy hordes of tourists swarming the place.

I had only previously visited the Grand Palace in Madrid and was thus not used to the splendour of the European castles. Was totally taken in by the scenes that were painted in each of the rooms. It was just like the Vatican, only that instead of biblical stories, we have heroes and heroines. It had made me wanted to find out more about this poet but it was also because of my lack of knowledge that i wasn't able to appreciate the art more. Even the servants's quarters reel of class as I made my way through the various levels. Speaks a lot when I actually get the urge to stop travelling, save up on my liquid assets and aim to carve out such a decor in my house in the distant future :p

Took me all the way till noon as I continue to marvel at the 2 castles and their stunning backdrop. The 2 lakes were buzzing with activity but their vast size meant that the activities barely caused a ripple and it was still calmingly beautiful. Sitting on a rocks and gazing out into the horizon, one can simply let go and relax. It was so similar yet so different to the feeling that I got when I was sitting on the ledge in Santorini, gazing out into the vast Aegean Sea.

Schloss Neuschwanstein was one of the main reasons why I had wanted to come back and there was much doubts as to whether the touristy nature of the place would lead to another disappointment. I m glad I did come here as it truly lives up to its billing...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home